Monday, March 28, 2011

Meatless Monday’s: Tuscan Potato Casserole

I have a binder for all my recipes I have been given or cut out of a magazine. I cut this recipe out a while ago from one of my Better Home and Garden’s magazine and I hadn’t tried it and when we decided to try meatless Monday’s I quickly added it to our menu. According to my magazine, this recipe won $400 because it was that good lol. I must say, it was pretty darn good! I see it as a side item instead of a main dish though! Ok enough blabbing…


2lb Red potatoes
3 or 4 cloves minced garlic (only if you want people to stop talking to you)
2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic
½ tsp crushed dried Thyme
¼ cup butter
1cup buttermilk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
4oz Fontina cheese (sliced or shredded)
4oz Parmesan cheese (shredded) I used asiago because I didn’t have any Parmesan in the house
1/3 cup Blue Cheese I do not care for blue cheese so I substituted Gorgonzola
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4tsp Italian seasoning
1TSP Olive Oil
Parsley
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Scrub and cut potatoes into little chunks (I like the skin on my potatoes but you can peel them if you’d like) cook potatoes in boiling water for 10-12minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.

In that same pot, over medium heat, add garlic, butter, and thyme for about a minute. Add potatoes and Mash with a fork until coarsely mashed. Stir in buttermilk ½ tsp salt ¼ tsp pepper. Then start to stir in your cheese ( ½ of the parmesan). Once the mixture is nice and creamy, pour it into a greased 9x13” pan and spread evenly.

In a small bowl, mix ½ parmesan , panko, Italian seasoning, and oil. Sprint mixture evenly over potatoes.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the breadcrumb mixture is brown.

You can add parsley to the top of the bake if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment